NMSD serves a diverse group of children and their families. A comprehensive array of educational support services are available according to each child's needs and complies with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA).
If a child needs a particular related service in order to benefit from special education, the related service professional will be involved in developing the child's Individualized Education Program (IEP) and the team makes a decision regarding to the appropriateness of the recommended services.
Support Services provided to students who attend NMSD include, but are not limited to:
Audiology, Speech and Language:
- ASL: ASL support and related services include ASL immersion classes and small group or one-on-one support for ASL acquisition.
- Spoken Language: When appropriate, students attend identified classes that use spoken language as the primary mode of instruction. Students may receive spoken language instruction within their classrooms that use ASL. Those classes are team-taught with one ASL and one Spoken English teacher. The focus of these classes is on the development of academic vocabulary and understanding of content through spoken language.
- Speech and Language Therapy
- Audiology and Aural (Re)Habilitation
NMSD also provides related support in a variety of other areas:
- Psychoeducational Evaluations
- Academic Tutoring
- Physical Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Social Work/Family Counseling and Training Support
- Mental Health/Counseling
- Health and School Nurse Services
- Orientation and Mobility
- Behavior Support