NMSD’s summer program creates a setting that promotes hands-on, experiential learning opportunities. It also offers a place where academic and non-academic activities come together in fun and adventurous ways.
NMSD’s summer program is specifically designed to provide deaf and hard of hearing children with the unique opportunity to open their eyes and experience new ideas, situations, people and cultures.
Students are encouraged to take safe risks and to challenge themselves intellectually, physically, socially, emotionally and communicatively.
Full two-week participation is expected. Tuition and room and board for this two-week adventure are provided free of charge to eligible children and youth from New Mexico who will be in grades Preschool-12 this fall.
- Preschoolers age 5 and under can attend as day students, Monday - Friday for both weeks.
- Local children ages 6 and 7 can stay in the residential cottages during the week. Weekend accommodations can be arranged for non-local children.
- Children ages 8 and up will stay on campus for the full two weeks and will go camping.
Personal spending money and transportation to and from the NMSD campus is the responsibility of the parents/guardians. Space is limited and will be filled on a first come, first serve basis.
- personal interests and strengths
- the power of teamwork
- personal leadership capabilities
- problem-solving techniques
- outdoor activities for any age and level of fitness
- creativity in leisure time
- possible career interests
- creative stories through the use of American Sign Language and English
- creative, philosophical and abstract thinking during lively discussions
- community building activities through a variety of academic and residential projects
- develop environmental awareness and skills
- promote individual’s natural leadership strengths while providing tangible academic,
emotional and social support
- experience urban navigation
- learn how to camp and hike without leaving a trace and how to take care of the land
- build strong and lasting friendships
- trekking/hiking/solving clues
- swimming and other leisure activities
- Academic Opportunities + Residential Adventures + Camping Experiences = FUN!