At the New Mexico School for the Deaf, children experience a stimulating and language and communication-rich learning environment. As they play, grow and learn, all children are supported and embraced for their unique characteristics and home languages.
NMSD's preschools and kindergartens are places where fully accessible language and communication is used to assure that all students learn the wide array of information they need to develop to their potential - cognitively, socially, linguistically and emotionally.
Services are individually tailored through the state and federally regulated Individual Educational Program (IEP) or Individual Family Service Plan (IFSP), in conjunction with each student's home school district to meet each child's strengths and needs.
New Mexico School for the Deaf preschools and kindergarten programs are in Albuquerque within easy access of I-25, in Farmington at the Farmington Special Preschool next to the Country Club Elementary School, in Las Cruces at Mesilla Elementary School and in Santa Fe on the main NMSD campus.
Any child, age 18 months through kindergarten, who resides in or near Albuquerque, Las Cruces, Farmington or Santa Fe and has a diagnosed hearing loss can be considered for enrollment. Services in all locations are offered at no cost to families. See Enrollment & IEPs for more information.
Educational Team Members
NMSD believes in the importance of supporting and including families as an integral part of their child’s development. At the New Mexico School for the Deaf preschools and kindergartens, NMSD is proud to offer a caring, nurturing, highly skilled, and professional staff. All of NMSD’s programs across the state have access to a variety of teachers and support staff. Click here for more information.
Special Program Features
- High emphasis on families as partners
- State and national accreditation
- Nationally recognized educational best practice for young children
- On-site audiological services
- Support for cochlear implants and other amplification devices
- Comprehensive developmental evaluations
- Spanish-speaking staff
- Multiple cooperative agreements with public schools and state agencies to share resources
- Service coordination for children below 3 years of age
- On-site child care in Santa Fe
- Integrated programs for Deaf and Hearing children
- Professional staff members who are licensed and certified in their fields
- Multiple assessment tools that focus on the whole child with high emphasis on language development
All of NMSD’s preschools receive a full range of support services from various providers. Click here to see the range of support services that NMSD provides. Click here for Support Services.
For additional information regarding NMSD’s Preschools Program, feel free to contact Scott Mohan, Principal.