MENU

About NMSD

HistoryFirst building at NMSD's Santa Fe campus  was built in 1891.

While the New Mexico Legislature officially established the New Mexico School for the Deaf (NMSD) in 1887, it was deaf-education pioneer Lars Larson who first planted the school's historic roots in 1885. Using their own funds, Lars and his wife Belle began teaching deaf students in a small adobe house in Santa Fe. The deaf couple dreamed of establishing a permanent place where deaf and hard of hearing children could receive a quality education. In the 132 years since, NMSD has been making a difference in the lives of deaf children and their families. NMSD also has the distinction of being the only land grant school for the deaf in the country.

Lars & Belle Larson seated with the first NMSD class. 1885We continue to honor Lars Larson's legacy by providing comprehensive educational and support services to New Mexico’s deaf and hard of hearing children and youth between the ages of birth and 21. While most are enrolled at our Santa Fe campus, we also offer extensive Early Childhood services on our main campus in Santa Fe, through our satellite preschools located in Albuquerque, Farmington and Las Cruces.  NMSD also supports students and their families across the state through its Early Intervention and Involvement Division, which includes the Parent-Infant-Child Program and Deaf Mentor Program and the Center for Educational Consultation and Training.

Any child from birth to 21 living in New Mexico and has a diagnosed hearing loss can be considered for school enrollment and attend free of charge. Children and youth who are enrolled in public school programs, their families and their educational teams, are eligible for outreach services.


Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2017 West Corporation. All rights reserved.